Home » Audience

Audience

Is who I am writing to

I have always known what audience is. It is the person or people who we are writing to, people who watch things from a different perspective other than the authors. I never really bothered to learn more about audience because I never thought that there was more to audience.

When we first started writing and having assignments, we started out by writing to Professor Carr as our audience and then from then on, expanded our audience to classmates, faculty and then you, the new Engl 11000 students. Our first assignment where we had a specific audience to write to was, “Diagnostic Essay, Letter to the Instructor”. We had to write to Professor Carr about ourselves. So as I wrote and knew who my audience was, I wrote in a way that, my audience will understand, be impressed and keep reading.

When we were assigned the argumentative essay to do, I thought of the audience as the public, who I am trying to convince. So I wrote in a way that seemed as if I was arguing with a friend who is of the opposite side, to give a realistic touch to my work.

As more assignment were assigned and the audience changed with it, I knew that I must change my audience and focus on impressing that audience.

Audience is who we are writing to and why we are writing. It is also a rhetorical element. When writing, one should know their audience because they are very important and are the reason why you are writing. And you guys, students of English 11000 are my audience for this site. So as I am making this site with you as my audience, I am making it in a way I believe you will be able to understand.

I know I progressed and did better as the semester went on because I learnt when to impress my audience, and when to focus on the main topic.