Home » Stance

Stance

How I feel towards my writing

Stance a rhetorical element which is where you stand on a certain topic. It is always present when there are more than two sides to an argument. And that was what I had in my argumentative.

We started out writing with about single stories that we had experienced or that we had seen. As we started writing, I could not find any story to write about but eventually was able to find a story to write about. As we wrote about it, I wondered how we were going to use this in class. And that was when the argumentative essay came into play.

For the argumentative essay, we had to choose our own topic and a side which we could argue and support. The topic I chose was “Why Columbus Day should not be celebrated”. When choosing a stance on a topic, make sure to find a topic and a stance where you can find a lot of evidence to support your stance because it was hard finding a topic and evidence to support my stance as there were not many articles and thoughts on it.

In my essay, I talked about the atrocities that Christopher Columbus had committed to the Natives of America and why he should not be celebrated. In my introduction paragraph, I stated the single story that had to do with Columbus Day and the connected it to my topic and stance. It stated:

“There has been a single story which has been in history for a long time and is being taught in schools, which is that Christopher Columbus discovered America which is not true at all because it already existed at the time. It was just that it was not on the global map at the time. After he found the Americas, he committed a lot of atrocities against the Native people of the land. Till this day, he is still celebrated. The atrocities that Christopher Columbus committed are the reasons why Columbus Day should not be celebrated to honor him.” (Yorke 1, Argumentative Essay).

This section in my introductory paragraph helped my audience to see what my topic and stance was in the argument. I progressed greatly from my draft of to the final of the argumentative essay because the feedback from my peer group helped me greatly. They told me what to take out and what to add to my essay to make my argument stronger. Peer reviews are very good and important.

My Argumentative Essay is attched: